Friday, August 28, 2009

To be Content

Why is it that in whatever state we find ourselves in we are always wanting? I have been thinking and struggling with this for the past week. I am so thankful for this time with Ryan, he works across the street and I am home and able to see him whenever I want. Yet, there are times that I inevitably get bored. I find myself wanting to do something about it, for instance, go get a job. That is the sensible thing to do, and most likely I will get a part time job. Yet, I do not want to get a job because I am so discontent in the state the Lord has me. To me that is wrong motives. I soon will find myself regretting for changing my circumstances and I will long for the days when I had nothing to do but go watch Ryan ride.

Most people I talk with are desiring and wanting something to change. Those who work want more time off, Mom's want a little bit of time to themselves, those in school are wanting to graduate, etc. And not to say that I have figured out how to be content in whatever state I am in, I just find it unreal how commonplace discontentment is, even within the lives of Christians! For me, this has been a struggle that I have been wrestling the Lord with.

8 Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy--meditate on these things. 9 The things which you learned and received and heard and saw in me, these do, and the God of peace will be with you.

10 But I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at last your care for me has flourished again; though you surely did care, but you lacked opportunity. 11 Not that I speak in regard to need, for I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: 12 I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. 13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Philippians 4:8-13

When the Lord reveals the heart behind discontentment, I find the root, most of the time, to be selfishness. Paul definitely would have better excuses to be discontent than I ever will have. Yet, he was totally content in Where God had him. I think it first stemmed from the verses in 8-9. If we do what paul is encouraging the Philippians to do there is no way we can be discontent. Right before verse 8 Paul says that we should let our gentleness be known to all. I am seeing that the cure to selfishness is repentance and a decision to seek the good of other people around me. To love them, to pray for them, to reach out to them.

In my specific case, getting a job will help that to happen. It will open doors for me to meet new people so that I can reach out to them. Just getting the job for the sake of something to do because I am bored is a selfish and aweful thing to do. There is no purpose in it. As Christians I feel that we should not do things just for the sake of it. When I become a mother someday, it is not my job to babysit them and just let them do their own thing. I will be held accountable to how I raised them and taught them. Therefore, as a mother, there must be purpose in training your children in righteousness.

All this to say, I hope that the struggles that I am facing can encourage others who may find themselves in my same shoes, finding themselves wanting. Let our only want be for the Lord. He is the only thing that is worthy of wanting.

1 comment:

  1. OKAY, was your post ever timely! Want proof? Check out the latest post on my blog...I basically throw myself a pity-party because my husband and I haven't been able to take a vacation ALONE together in FOREVER (and that Allison and Grant are in FREAKIN' HAWAII right now! I'm happy for her, yet her trip only reminds me of my lack of one). Oh my, what whiney little children of God we are! I kept saying, "I choose Your joy today, Lord!". I'm almost over it....

    ReplyDelete